Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: url in 'click here to register' link?

url in 'click here to register' link? 15 years 8 months ago #2227

• JComeskey
  • JComeskey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This seems to be my week for dumb questions.

I am wondering what determines the url for the \'click here to register link\' that displays at the bottom of the event listing?

The reason I ask is that I am having problems with item IDs.

As a result, my event registration page is rendering within the context of the home page (and thus displaying home page modules).

Normally this happens when one fails to create a menu link to the component. But in this case, I have a main menu link to DT Register. And if I follow the path through the DT Register link, it displays properly.

But my main menu link and my link within the event listing are different. Why are they different?

Any chance that the link from the event was created when perhaps there was no menu link for the component? If so, is there a way to reset the link?

Here are some examples:
Main site url: http://www.belcommunications.net/orrrc

If you follow the DT Register link from the main menu and then click the Carol Wolff Memorial 5k Run/Walk link, then you end up here:
http://www.belcommunications.net/orrrc/index.php?option=com_dtregister&task=mainlist&type=pre_paypal_individual&eventId=9&paymentmethod=paypal&Itemid=64
From here, it knows that it is in the DT Register area and does not display any modules.

But if you click in through either the calendar or from the main menu link to the Carol Wolff Memorial 5k Run/Walk, then of course you end up at the event listing within the JEvents component here:
http://www.belcommunications.net/orrrc/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=9&year=2008&month=09&day=13&Itemid=65

From here, if you click the \'Click here to register for this event\' link, then you end up here:
http://www.belcommunications.net/orrrc/index.php?option=com_dtregister&task=mainlist&type=pre_paypal_individual&eventId=9&paymentmethod=paypal&Itemid=99999999

Notice that this page still thinks it is at the home page on the main menu and the right side module displays.

I\'m sure that this is something trivial, but I need a push in the right direction.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

url in 'click here to register' link? 15 years 8 months ago #2244

• JComeskey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
After thinking about this for awhile, a couple of things occurred to me:

1. I should have specified in my original post that I am using the JEvents hack instead of the mambot to display the register link.

In retrospect, the mambot might actually work better for me, given my plan for structuring the rest of the site. (I think that I am going to use Joomla content items to create my event descriptions because this will provide more flexibility for menu structures and module positions. Then I will use the include_content_item mambot to place the contents of this content item into the JEvent listing. So if I use the DTR mambot, then the register link will display identically in both places.)

2. My revelation above notwithstanding, the answer to my original question obviously resides in the hack to JEvents: events.html.php file between lines 335 and 383.

Specifically, lines 379 and 380:
<a href=\"index.php?option=com_dtregister&eventId=<?php echo $row->id;?>&task=<?=$task?>\">
Click Here to Register for this Event

url in 'click here to register' link? 15 years 8 months ago #2245

• JComeskey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Just tried the mambot approach.

Sadly, it has the same problem. It assigns itemid=99999999 at the end and renders within the context of the home page.

I don\'t understand why.

I must be missing something obvious. Please, somebody, don\'t be afraid to hurt my feelings. Tell me what I am doing wrong.

I\'m thinking maybe I should just ditch the mambot and the hack. I could simply publish a link to the DT_Register component to one of the menus, and then create traditional backend links to the appropriate registration page. This would be less dynamic, but it would be simple.

Another possibility is to use the title_bot mambot. Then I could create a menu link directly to the DT_Register page for the event and then insert a {ln:\'link_name\'} tag into the event info page to create a dynamic link. Of course, this would still be static on the menu, so maybe this is a moot point...

url in 'click here to register' link? 15 years 8 months ago #2291

• aaronkm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I\'m right there with ya, not sure how to proceed either with the default ItemID(999999...) being tacked on to the event URL.

You can bet I\'m watching this thread however. :)

Sorry I\'m unable to help.

/subscribed

url in 'click here to register' link? 15 years 8 months ago #2292

• JComeskey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I ended up ditching the mambot and the JEvents hack. I am simply now using a basic URL link to the event page derived by the DT Register menu. (In other words, I created a component link to DT_Register in the main mainu. Then after setting up my event and my registration info, I clicked through the main menu to find the DT Register page for my event. Then I snagged the URL. Then in the event description, I created a link to that URL that says, \'Click Here to Register\'.) That solved my problem.

My new plan is to use a standard Joomla content item to explain the event. This will give me the most flexibility for presenting and structuring the events. Then I am going to use the Insert_content plugin to copy the content into the JEvents item. It will end up being a 4 step process:
1. Set up the original content item.
2. Set up the JEvent using the insert_content plugin.
3. Set up DT Register for the event.
4. Go back to the content item and create the link.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.663 seconds