• Page:

TOPIC: Overlapping Event for Groups

Overlapping Event for Groups 12 years 6 months ago #15484

• hshideman
  • hshideman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there a way to separate the overlapping event check to specific members rather than the registered groups? So, for example.

I set up a public event that a group registers for, then the individual members in the group are registered for private events with the main conference as a pre-rec (is this the best way of setting that up?). Now, I would like the ability prevent overlapping events per individual, but am currently confined to having the overlapping check disabled or else the group cannot register multiple individuals for the specific event. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Overlapping Event for Groups 12 years 6 months ago #15489

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
The overlapping event check and prerequisite checks are the two features that require login to register for those events... even if they are marked as public. They check the user account that is associated with the registration. In a group, there is ONE account connected with the registration, and that is the person that was logged in and making that registration. So combining this with an initial public event is not going to work well at all. Besides, the group members do not have accounts to check.

Usually the best way to accomplish something like this is to have ONE event... then give the "sub events" are given as selection options with fields. As you have various sub events that overlap... you could (for example) have something like:

Select your morning workshop: Option 1 | Option 2 | Option 3

Select your afternoon workshop: Option 1 | Option 2 | Option 3

Set these fields as radio buttons or dropdowns so the user can only choose one from each timeframe. No overlap check needed :) Assign these fields to be used for "Each Member" in the group registration.

End result, the whole registration process is done in one registration... easier for the end user... and accomplishes the limitations that you need to set.

This option may or may not work out for you. It's the best route in most cases, but everyone's needs and setup is a little different so that's up to you. You have to do something different than what you were trying though because that is not going to work well.

Overlapping Event for Groups 12 years 6 months ago #15501

• hshideman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, so I think this might work; however, I have a couple of questions

1) I saw that in the main event I can check attendance, but can I check attendance by sub event?
2) can I create a roster of the sub events? or filter by sub event (without having to do a csv export?)
3) I can set the selection limits on the field, but is there a way to view capacity/registration for a field sub event?

Thanks!

Overlapping Event for Groups 12 years 6 months ago #15506

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
If you run your sub events as fields instead of actual separate events, then there is no attendance check. If that is vital to have, then you will have to keep them as separate events.

Again, if the subevent is done by fields, you can't filter backend records by a field value. Of course, the CSV export will show it though.

The selection limits gives you a capacity type check for field options, but there isn't a display to show that capacity and number registered.

If you need all of those things, you'll have to go with separately created events. You'll just have to then hash out the best way to implement your needs with everything as a separate event.

Overlapping Event for Groups 12 years 6 months ago #15513

• hshideman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, is there the ability to:
1) register for the main event as a group, price per individual, detailed member info, w/multiple event cart enabled, register for another event, this event would have a custom field dropdown with the detailed member info (really just need name and custom field department) as the only option for registering for the class...

I'm thinking this would allow me to have group registration at a fee with free sub events that can all show up in my shopping cart, be managed as events (ie attendance & filtered), and limit only paid individuals to be registered for an event . I like it in my head, now is it possible?

2)Add another field column to the shopping cart-- currently it has event, type individual, etc but can I add a column that tells the individuals name? or other information from the fields?

PS Thanks for all the quick and thorough responses! It's really helped. I've had a lot of questions, but have found DT register to offer a lot

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.896 seconds