TOPIC: Modifying a Dropdown list

Modifying a Dropdown list 8 years 4 months ago #25146

• w2kd
  • w2kd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have a drop down list setup for school selection. All works fine

We now have more schools to add and would like to have them in Alphabetical order but when we add a new school within the existing list. Existing registration are now showing the wrong school.

It appears that the value selected that is stored is the list position not the value selected.

Is there an alternative way to setup these drop down list so that they can be changed later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modifying a Dropdown list 8 years 4 months ago #25147

• nathan.dth
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 218
We do realize that this is an issue in some cases, and it has been discussed in other forum threads here. The database stores a number value for your field selections... not the selection value text itself. In very old versions of DT Register, the actual text value was stored. That caused issues when someone would make ANY change to that text value as existing records now had a value that didn't exist as an option. That had to be changed. It resulted in a number being stored instead. That was certainly an improvement, BUT as you've seen, if you re-order your values in the middle of a registration process, existing records get affected.

There is no quick fix solution here. We know some further enhancement is welcomed here, but for now, you really can't re-order those values during a live registration. You can add to the list of course, but I know you want to keep a certain order. You can't... unless you want to modify your other records.

You could potentially run some SQL queries in phpmyadmin to (put very basically) change all entries of "9" to "11" for example. I doubt you want to dive into that though.

Nathan is no longer affiliated with DTH since the recent acquisition. You can connect with him and get any type of Joomla website help at www.JoomlaEmployee.com .

Modifying a Dropdown list 8 years 4 months ago #25148

• w2kd
  • w2kd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Nathan
That's what I expected.

I suppose the ultimate solution is to be able to add the value pair like a normal select or alternatively a "order" field control so you can add them at the bottom but enable your code to reorder the view.

Apologies I did do a search in the forum but failed to see any other topic

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds